Prof. Alfred Lityński (born on September 16, 1880, died on March, 1945) was an ichthyologist. He created the Polish school of hydrobiology and limnology and was a Doctor of Philosophy in zoology of the Jagiellonian University and lecturer at the University of Warsaw.
In 1920 Director of the Nencki Institute, Prof. Kazimierz Białaszewicz entrusted Lityński with establishing a Hydrobiological Station of the Nencki Institute on the Wigry Lake, which Lityński run until the outbreak of WWII. He was also one of the initiators of creating the present day Wigierski National Park.
In recognition of Prof. Lityński’s services, the Polish Hydrobiological Society established a medal named after him awarded for exceptional scientific or organisational achievements or for popularisation of hydrobiology.